Thursday, 8 May 2014

Is it possible to beat candida, change careers, move cities and get married in four months? I'm going to find out.

I always try and do too much.

That's probably partly why I haven't ended up doing the things I really, REALLY want to do with my time over the past five years or so. Things like writing books, getting back into karate and yoga, finding a way to horseride regularly, and truly beating candida.

If you don't know what candida is, here is one of many sites that will explain. No doubt it will come up a lot if I stick to this blog, but this being the first post, there are a few other things to get out of the way first.

Thing number 1: Ima get hitched

In January this year, my boyfriend Dan asked me to be his bride. This gave me quite a lot of thinking to do. Not thinking about whether to say yes or not. (That I had had PLENTY of time to think about). But thinking about paragraph 1 above.

Two years back, while we were doing a long distance stint of about ten months (he in CT working on a film, me in Joburg doing my advertising thing), some random chick from church gave me a piece of advice, totally out of the blue, that stuck with me. "Just make sure that you're doing what you really WANT to do before you get married. It's much harder to change course afterwards," she said.

This struck me as true... but being the kind of person who always tries to do too much, I was way too busy at the time to pay it much attention. Now, with my wedding a scant four months away, it's suddenly very real. And I constantly fear that once I'm in ye olde matrimonial groove, I might stay in exactly the same routine (career, hobbies, and even diet) simply out of habit. Or I could change it ALL right now. Sometime before I do the aisle thing on September 13, 2014. That sounds like me. Let's do ALL the things at once!


Thing number 2: I wanna be a writer

I am a copywriter (that has nothing to with copyright. It has to do with selling stuff using words). I actually want to be a fiction and drama writer. Last month, I took a huge step to get myself from A to B: I stepped down as creative director and am now working a part-time week and doing more writing. Yay me.

Thing number 3: I really really do need to get this candida thing sorted out.

I've suffered from this bodily imbalance for quite a while. Much like Justin Bieber, candida is currently wildly popular, and yet little understood.

Treatments vary (wow, what a world of confusing information and misinformation is contained in those two words) but the consensus is that killing the "C-monster" involves sticking to a particularly harsh and restrictive diet. My main reason for starting this blog is to make myself accountable to someone - even if only the vast yawning abyss of the Net - in sticking to this diet. It is hard. But I have just four months left to kick the ass of candida.* This is not entirely unrelated to...

Thing number 4: I want to look great nekkid.

And more to the point, in my wedding dress.

So here begins my accountability. I will try and get to this blog once a week at least - but, because of that whole "doing too much thing",  I have also undertaken to achieve the following:

1. pack up my house and figure out how to get my stuff to Cape Town. Oh yes, I didn't mention. Daniel is also moving to Cape Town to work on another film. And this time I'm moving too.

2. write a treatment for a feature film

3. finish a draft of my many-times-finished novel

... and that's just in May. So yes. I can't promise to stick to my schedule. But I promise to share everything I learn along the way, the good, the bad, and the surprisingly tasty despite being composed of high-protein hessian-sack flour. Let the countdown begin.


*If you're wondering why this deadline coincides with my honeymoon, I'll tell you when you're older.


No comments:

Post a Comment